4/19/10

Outside the Circle Part 3 (or confessions of a Bon Jovi addict)

In 1990 I went to England in April, I brought 3 copies of New Jersey with me, it was like listening to an old friend.  I know that sounds weird but when you're in a foreign country your mind plays crazy tricks on you.

In northern England I found this independent record store and they had a poster from Bon Jovi's 1988 Tour, and I spent $20 US on this poster that I jammed into my luggage.  At the Virgin Record/Tower records in London (where Bon Jovi performed in Access all Areas) I bought a T-shirt with Jon wearing a Marilyn Monroe shirt and a vinyl interview record.  I still have both.  I also have my Jersey Syndicate shirt I bought at record record in Pompton Lakes.

On July 4th 1990 Blaze of Glory premiered on MTV and I forced my family home before it started so I could watch.  By this time my Mom hated Jon Bon Jovi because he was all I talked about.

Did I mention I cried for 3 straight days when he got married, not that I had a chance but if he was single I had a chance.



We went to see Young Guns 2 that summer, my brother and his friend Eric stood up and cheered in the theater as Jon got shot in his small little cameo, but I recognized him.  and I punched them both in the balls for disrespecting Jon like that.

I bought Richie's Solo record the day it came out, I begged my Dad to drive me to coconuts in Totowa to buy it.  Coconuts would be the scene of many later Bon Jovi crack addict purchases.  Including my 45's of Bad Name, Runaway & Lay Your Hands on Me.  River of Love still sounds like sex to me.



For Christmas 1990 I got a CD player, most likely so my parents would never have to hear Bon Jovi every again (ha little did they know) BUT my most favorite Christmas present was Access All Areas (A Rock N Roll Odyssey) I watched it all the time.  I had it memorized.

And then in 1992 my Dad lost his job.  I was a junior in high school and was being told that my senior year would most likely be spent somewhere else.  Portland Or or Tampa FL (Tampa was most likely the spot since my Paternal Grandparents lived in Clearwater).  My Dad moved to Florida in April and in August 1992 I followed.  I moved the Florida the week of Hurricane Andrew.  Which is funny My Dad's name was Andrew as is my brothers.  We spent a week at Clearwater Beach and then moved in with my Grandparents until the rental we were going to rent while our house was being built became available.  It was during the week at my grandparents that the unthinkable happened.

Jon Bon Jovi cut his hair...

TBC...

No comments:

Bon Jovi Widget