6/20/10

Non Jovi: Happy Father's Day

I just wanted to wish all of the Dad's out there a happy Father's day.

I lost my Dad two years ago this August to Cancer (lymphoma to be exact). There isn't a day that goes by that I don't think about him. My Dad & I were really close all my life; I was your stereotypical Daddy's girl.

We found out on August 1st 2008 my Dad had a brain tumor. I was at work when I found out. I was going on vacation the next day. I couldn't stop crying. To me cancer is still a death sentence and no matter what treatments they provide you are not the same person going into it as you are coming out and going into remission.

I found it horribly unfair that God was going to take my Dad away. I was closer to him than I was to my Mom & I could go to him with any problems and he would help me out. My Dad was my biggest cheerleader and celebrated all my victories no matter how small they were. 

When you lose something like that so suddenly, I can't even begin to describe how it feels. Maybe it's like having the rug pulled out from underneath you and falling into a bottomless black pit, and that's an understatement really.

I went to see my Dad for the last time on August 10, 2008, I was there with him for a few hours. I joked with him about the NY Jets they were his favorite football team and had just signed Brett "Never Gonna Retire" Favre on Friday. I asked him aren't you excited the Jets may actually win a few games this year. And he said to me, "Well, he may be Brett Favre, but he's no Joe Namath." My Dad died the next morning at 9:37 AM.

Joe Namath was my Dad's favorite player ever. However, the Jets were his team. I know he was up in heaven rooting for them all last year and into the playoffs. I'm just sad that he didn't get to see them play in the AFC Championship. My Dad is buried in one of his numerous Jets hats.

I remember a few weeks before he died we were watching the Yankees and Bobby Murcer had just passed from complications from Cancer, and the two of us were sitting there with tears running down our faces.

The last game the Yankees played in the Original Yankee Stadium they brought out Bobby Murcer's family. I could not stop crying. 

So if you're a Dad hug your kids today, because you're time with them is so valuable, and the lessons and the memories you share with them will last them a lifetime. If you have a Dad hug him because your time with him is valuable, and you never know what tomorrow holds.

I wish today I could hug mine.

 My Dad in his Jets hat at Raymond James Stadium 12/16/2007

No comments:

Bon Jovi Widget