3/3/11

Bon Jovi: Livin’ on a birthday prayer


By JAN RANSOM
Philadelphia Daily News
ransomj@phillynews.com

Before they reached the entrance of the Wells Fargo Center Wednesday night, Greg Suplick stopped his 8-year-old daughter Emilea in mid-stride, reached into his pocket and handed her a pair of Bon Jovi tickets.

The bright-eyed girl was all smiles before she hugged her father's waist. It was an early birthday surprise.

"Oh my gosh, I can't believe he was taking me here," Emilea said.

Emilea wasn't the only one celebrating her birthday at the Wells Fargo Center as Jon Bon Jovi celebrated his 49th birthday with more than 18,5000 fans last night.

"This is the first time I've ever been able to take her out just dad and daughter," said Suplick, 41, of Kennett Square.

Suplick said he introduced Emilea to his all-time favorite musician before she was able to read and she's been a hardcore fan ever since.

Fabian Campos remembered when he saw Bon Jovi in concert in Mexico several years ago. Since he has lived in Philadelphia, he hasn't missed a show from the New Jersey-born rocker.

"Bon Jovi!" Campos, 31, shouted as he exited the Broad Street Line's AT&T station.

Street vendors marched past the crowds clutching Bon Jovi T-shirts for sale.

Some people paid more than double to ticket scalpers to get in.

A 29-year-old professional scalper who declined to give his name sold six tickets last night for $150 each. He and at least 10 other men hustled through the evening cold.

Although Bon Jovi hit the music scene in the early 1980's with hit songs like "Runaway," "She don't know me" and "Livin' on a prayer," 9-year-old Morgan Balan was still able to identify with the music.

"He's awesome," Morgan shouted, sporting a "Bon Jovi Rocks" T-shirt while holding onto a large poster board wishing the rockstar a Happy Birthday.

"They just keep getting better and better," said Lisa Fauls, 35, who was with her niece. "They will never get old."

1 comment:

Emilea said...

I am Emilea Suplick and I came upon this by googling my name for fun. I clearly remember this night and I was so happy. I am now 13 and looking at this makes me feel so happy.

Bon Jovi Widget