6/27/11

Bon Jovi: Bon Jovi Live Review (Manchester)

Most cringe worthy line of this story: . To see a quartet with a combined aged of more than 100 performing with such energy is amazing and the songs were brilliant.  What do you say about the Rolling Stones then?  That Keith Richards who should be dead and has been drinking formaldehyde the last 30 to years to retain that look of walking corpse....  Mick Jagger still struts around stage like a preening peacock, abet a peacock that is pushing 70 and could use a walker?

Sometimes these "journalists" piss me off.

Oh I'm not posting the pictures that accompany this article, since they're not from this show, #1 Jon's hair is too long & #2 in the group shot he's not wearing his knee brace.


Rachel Boothroyd doesn't mind getting wet at Old Trafford

Written by Rachel Boothroyd. Published 20 minutes ago.

”I CAN’T believe it. 45,000 crazy fans are dancing away on a wet rainy night in Manchester. I’m the luckiest man in the world.”

And with that, Jon Bon Jovi made the whole of Old Trafford forget about the weather on a cold Friday night in Manchester.

“It’s like having a shower with tons of people,” he said. He’d probably know, given his antics in the 80s.
Bon Jovi were playing the cricket ground as part of their marathon world tour to support their Greatest Hits album, although the man himself insisted it ‘isn’t a goodbye tour or a nostalgia tour.’

That didn’t stop them rattling through their back catalogue though – racing through 23 songs from six different albums across 27 years. Every hit had the crowd singing along and waving their hands – or smartphones – in the air. There can’t be many people out there who don’t know the words to ‘You Give Love a Bad Name,’ ‘It’s My Life’ and of course the anthem that is ‘Livin’ on a Prayer.’

The only disappointment a couple of songs I didn’t know, so vast is their arsenal of rock. I still enjoyed ‘Captain Crash and the Beauty Queen from Mars’ and ‘Raise your Hands’ though. As soon as ‘When We Were Beautiful’ came on I was back to belting out a tune with everyone else.

Our seats were towards the back of the ground, so when I wasn’t singing, I could sit back and appreciate the sight of thousands of fans waving their hands in mass synchronisation. It is an amazing site and you could tell how much Bon Jovi himself appreciated it. “It’s like having a shower with tons of people” he said. He’d probably know, given his antics in the 80s.

The rest of the band was surprisingly quiet throughout the whole gig. Perhaps they were feeling the chill. Richie Sambora’s guitar solos were still immense though, and showed he doesn’t need to be vocal to be talented.

Overall , it was an amazing concert. To see a quartet with a combined aged of more than 100 performing with such energy is amazing and the songs were brilliant. Our programme might have gone damp with the rain, but the event certainly wasn’t a damp squid.

2 comments:

freeze said...

Pretty sure their combined age is more than 200 so this is silly math to begin with. But anyway, this can't piss me off, otherwise the actual bad/disrespectful reviews that keep coming would have given me about 5 strokes by now.

Rachel said...

Hi Dee. I'm the journalist who wrote this so I'm sorry you were unhappy with it. This is the very first review I have ever done for a proffessional company so I'm still trying to get to grips with the style etc.

What I was trying to convey with the more then 100 comment is that Bon jovi are a band who are older then a lot of bands that are around at the moment.. As you pointed out, the rolling stones are still performing but I'm afraid they slipped my mind whilst I was writing this. Maths isn't my strong point as you can tell, but in hindsight I can see it was an awkward statement to make

thank you for your feedback on my article anyway. I hope if I wrote anything more on Bon Jovi you will be a lot less critical! Rachel.

I had no input re the photos with the arti

Bon Jovi Widget